Spinal surgery — a real opportunity to get rid of back pain
Many people are familiar with back pain. This symptom worsens significantly quality of life. When non-surgical therapy doesn’t bring the desired effect, recovery can be achieved with the help of the spinal surgery.
When is spinal surgery the best option?
Various diseases of the spine are treated with the spinal surgery. This field of medicine includes different specialties such as surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedics. The spine is a complicated system that includes various anatomic structures. Therefore, spinal surgery can involve operations on the bones, intervertebral discs, soft tissues or nerves.
Spinal surgery may be indicated for various diseases of the spine, such as:
- Congenital vertebral anomaly.
- Deformations of the spine — scoliosis, kyphosis.
- Spinal instability.
- Spinal stenosis.
- Herniated discs.
- Vertebral fractures.
- Spinal cord tumors.
Techniques in spinal surgery
Germany is a leader in the field of surgery. There are two different ways of performing spinal surgery in German hospitals. In a classical surgery doctor makes a long incision on the back. In this way he will have large operating field and excellent overview.
Another type of spinal surgery is a minimally invasive surgery. It means that doctor will introduce endoscope and instruments into the back through small incisions. With this type of operation patient will have only very small surgical wounds.
German surgeons apply both surgical techniques. When it possible, they try to perform minimally invasive interventions. Of course, this technique of spinal surgery has many advantages, such as minimal tissue damage and quick recovery. Nevertheless, minimally invasive surgery isn’t always possible.
Surgeon chooses type of technique he will use based on the disease of spine and overall health state of patient. For example, herniated disc is mainly treated with minimally invasive surgery. Severe deformations of the spine or vertebral fractures should be treated with classical surgery.
Types of spine surgery
Spinal surgery is one the most difficult fields of medicine. Spinal canal contains spinal cord, nerves and blood vessels. Surgeon should eliminate pathology of the spine, but at the same time to avoid damage of important structures of spinal canal.
Doctors receive the best results when they use modern intraoperative techniques. Computer-assisted intraoperative neuronavigation gives surgeons clear view of the operating field. Due to this a doctor can perform more precise manipulations. Intraoperative MRI is used to assess the surgery results.
The major types of spine surgeries:
- Discectomy — the procedure includes removing herniated disc, which compresses the nerve. This operation is performed using minimally invasive methods of surgery. Part of the disc may be removed traditionally or with a laser. If doctor removes a whole disk, he can perform a disc replacement too.
- Laminectomy — it is a type of a decompression operation. Laminectomy means cutting out part of the bone in spine in order to release the spinal canal. This operation is performed in treatment of spinal stenosis.
- Spinal fusion — it is a type of operation, when several vertebrae are connected together by a metal construction. This procedure helps to fix the spine into a proper position. Spinal fusion is indicated for treatment of spinal instability, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis.
- Vertebroplasty — this procedure is used in treating vertebral compression fractures. During a surgery doctor inputs bone cement into the damaged vertebrae. The medical cement reinforces the vertebrae and helps to prevent further vertebral fractures.
Benefits of treatment in Germany
German clinics have an excellent reputation. Here doctors perform the most difficult spinal surgeries and achieve the best results in this field of medicine.
The main advantages of treatment in Germany:
- German doctors have a high level of professionalism.
- Using of modern, minimally invasive techniques.
- The possibility of undergoing rehabilitation after surgery.
- Comfortable rooms in the hospitals.
Thanks to the help of Booking Health patients from different countries may undergo spinal surgery in German hospitals. We will arrange treatment with the best specialists in the field of spinal surgery. You may find more information about medical centers and find prices on the website BookingHealth.com.
We take care about the comfort of patients. Therefore, we also help patients to issue a visa, prepare medical documents, book flight tickets and a hotel.